Saturday, September 28, 2019

The way we vote in Howard County - we dice more often than we decide

As I repeated several times in the past, social engineering plan of current administration didn't surprise me because last year, the same group of people led by Calvin Ball were pushing hard to pass the bill for making Howard county a sanctuary. In my estimate, that was even more insane and crazier idea. Our house price would have tanked in addition to dangerous consequence of increasing drug peddlers and prostitution. In fact even that time also political squabble of Howard County made national headlines. New York Times's Sabrina Tavernise made an exclusive story in which I was interviewed ( I am giving the link in the comment) and after that I received many emails from Indian community for venting out the hard feeling of the community against the career democrats who seem to care more about illegal immigrants than legal ones. Many of the fellow Indians are waiting for permanent residency in USA for a long long time ( sometimes more than 20 years for the Indians ) due to weird rule of country quota. Instead of pushing merit based immigration which would have helped both United States and legal immigrants, when Democrats were fighting for illegal immigrants, every Indian American thought enough is enough, and they were enraged. In every party , everyone would speak about how democratic party is failing them!
After Allan Kittleman stopped the sanctuary bill, he was very sure of winning against Calvin Ball. Even I thought so. After all who in their sane mind, will vote for Calvin Ball who tried to brink the Howard County into utter quagmire? I was so confident about victory of Allan, I said no, when his campaign team approached me for volunteering. In fact I told them, Alan will win so comfortably after this sanctuary episode, it will be easy cake walk!
When Calvin Ball won by a margin of more than 6000, I realized, I did a great mistake in understanding how politics works in Howard County. I can bait- all the enthusiastic members of this forum are thinking in next election, present administration will be voted out because of their unpopular redistricting plan. They will be totally surprised if election is held today. And that is why I am posting this piece so that everyone of this forum understands to defeat this insane administration, they need to be lot more organized and actively engaged in Howard county politics.

So how could Calvin Ball win after his crazy sanctuary fiasco ? In resolving the mystery we would know what to do next time. Fact is, I can bait even 20% of this forum members didn't know what role Ball played last year to push the county into political disaster.

Most of the immigrants, specially Asian immigrants voted for him in drove without even knowing what political ideology he stands for. Why did this happen? Why Allen didn't get the support from Indian and Asian community ?

This is where Calvin Ball excelled as politician. He really worked very hard to make himself known to immigrant community. I have seen him attending every Indian cultural event. He would be visiting them and distribute cards. He really worked very hard over the years among the immigrants to make his face known.

I met him first time in 2016 in a small party organized by local democrats to watch Hillary vs Bernie debate. He didn't take side but I still remember he came to me, introduced himself and gave his card. After that I saw him at every cultural event organized by different Indian communities. He maintained very good relationship with Indian community organizers. I can't recall any Democrat or Republican worked so hard to be known among the immigrants. You have to understand in Howard County for a long time, immigrants have voted based on whom they know personally and not politically. That's too most of the immigrants even didn't vote. Even my wife told me, since she doesn't know most of the local candidates she won't vote- she didn't like the idea of throwing dart. Most of us, including me faced the same limbo. I voted for Allan and some councilmen whom I knew to be good, but for the rest ( for majority of times indeed) I looked at who are Democratic candidates and I voted for them because I am a Dem card holder. Turn out for local election averaged around 40% and I can tell you most of the Indians, if voted followed the same tactics- when you don't know the candidates, vote for the Dem. So in first place, Republican candidates are not too keen to attend all the cultural events of the immigrants -they think, they will seek the vote politically. It doesn't work among the immigrants-they have to make their face known. And secondly, because of racially motivated comments of a handful republicans at national level, local GOP candidates are never favored among the immigrants. Specially if they are not personally known to the immigrants, by default immigrants would imagine them to be a white racist! I know most of them are not that type but because I met them and known them. Most of the immigrants are so aloof in politics, they will not bother or invest time to know them. Why blame others - even I am not exception to that rule. We all feel, US has given us such a nicer life compared to our country of birth, we will invest time to make even more money and someone else would work to safeguard my political interest!

Frankly I didn't know Allan Kittleman even last year. When I was so upset by sanctuary fiasco, I had to write to him regarding my concern. He wrote back that he would kill the bill. Then I traced back history of both Allan and Calvin. But you see had it not been for sanctuary county squabble, I wouldn't have known Allan and what a nice person he is. And I would have voted for Calvin Ball by default because Calvin Ball made several attempts to reach us. And we met in many functions! I can tell you most of the immigrants made the same mistakes.

So lesson learned. Along the logic and reason that prevailed in this group, it's duty of every member, specially immigrants to do couple of actions
- Add your neighbors into this group
- Discuss the current mess and politicians involved in every party you are attending ..if possible give them some report to read
- Circulate the news of our resistance in all the relevant FB and whatsapp group , your wall..
- Keep one or two banners in your lawn

Politics requires more action to reach out, specially at community level when most of the voters are not so well informed. So please do reach out to as many members you can and as many ways you can. Your action to reach out to people will make bigger difference.



No comments:

Post a Comment